Although people often think of boardrooms, suits, and million dollar deals when they hear the word negotiation, the truth is that we negotiate all the time. Through this workshop participants will be able to understand the basic types of negotiations, the phases of negotiations, and the skills needed for successful negotiating.
The Negotiation Skills workshop will give your participants a sense of understanding their opponent and have the confidence to not settle for less than they feel is fair. Your participants will learn that an atmosphere of respect is essential, as uneven negations could lead to problems in the future.
- Workshop Objectives
- The Three Phases
- Skills for Successful Negotiating
- Establishing Your WATNA and BATNA
- Identifying Your WAP
- Identifying Your ZOPA
- Personal Preparation
- Setting the Time and Place
- Establishing Common Ground
- Creating a Negotiation Framework
- The Negotiation Process
- Getting off on the Right Foot
- What to Share
- What to Keep to Yourself
- What to Expect
- Techniques to Try
- How to Break an Impasse
- Three Ways to See Your Options
- About Mutual Gain
- What Do I Want?
- What Do They Want?
- What Do We Want?
- Reaching Consensus
- Building an Agreement
- Setting the Terms of the Agreement
- Being Prepared for Environmental Tactics
- Dealing with Personal Attacks
- Controlling Your Emotions
- Deciding When It’s Time to Walk Away
- Adapting the Process for Smaller Negotiations
- Negotiating via Telephone
- Negotiating via Email
- Choosing the Negotiating Team
- Covering All the Bases
- Dealing with Tough Questions
- Words from the Wise
- Review of Parking Lot
- Lessons Learned
- Completion of Action Plans and Evaluations